Kolkata sex workers take on netas over humiliation
Kolkata: Angry over disparaging comments made by some politicians recently directed at them, representative bodies of sex workers and trans-genders have approached the West Bengal Human Rights Commissions (WBHRC) seeking its intervention as their "human rights were violated".
Members of the city-based NGO Durbar Mahila Samanway Committee - a leading body of sex workers in the state - and Association of Trans-gender in Bengal Wednesday filed a petition to the WBHRC detailing the complaint.
A commission official said both bodies complained they felt "insulted and humiliated" at the remarks and sought the commission`s intervention.
The commission has assured to look into the matter.
On Jan 28, a senior All India Forward Bloc leader had termed the Trinamool "opportunistic" and compared its behaviour to that of a sex worker.
Hitting back, a Trinamool minister had then dubbed the Forward Bloc as a trans-gender for its inability to protest against the atrocities of the CPI-M during the Left Front rule.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?