Kolkata traffic thrown out of gear by twin rallies
Kolkata: The commuters in the city had a harrowing time on Monday as the traffic went haywire due to two political rallies organised by the Trinamool Congress and the BJP.
The Trinamool Congress held a huge procession, to protest against rail fare hike, marching from the Raja Subodh Mullick Square to the Gandhi statue on Mayo Road followed by a meeting on Mayo road.
The BJP too organized a big procession from the College Sqaure area to the Rani Rasmoni road area followed by a public meeting.
The entire central Kolkata was paralysed as roads were clogged with hundreds of vehicles standing bumper-to-bumper.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured