Kolkata`s hub declared hoarding free zone
Kolkata: Taking forward plans to beautify Kolkata, the civic body has declared the commercial hub BBD Bag as a hoarding-free zone and also announced four jetties on the banks of the Ganges at Babughat, and installing new lampposts with bright illumination.
These were among the major initiatives discussed at a high level meeting of the Kolkata Municipal Corporation chaired by Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee Monday.
The meeting at the state secretariat dwelled on plans to give Kolkata a London-like look, as promised by Banerjee in the run-up to the April-May assembly elections.
Sources said four jetties and a flyover are planned on the banks of the Ganges in central Kolkata`s Babughat, which is an access point for the commercial hub B.B.D. Bag.
The B.B.D. Bag area would be revamped by installing the new lamposts, some of which have already been put up on Harish Mukherjee Road near Banerjee`s residence in south Kolkata`s Kalighat.
The pavements in the Dalhousie area would also be improved and widened while trees would be planted in large numbers.
"The target is to plant one lakh trees in the city," the source said.
Meanwhile, at a separate meeting with Kolkata police, Metro rail, PWD authorities, city mayor Sovan Chatterjee announced that the B.B.D. Bag area has been declared a no advertisement zone from Monday.
Companies and agencies which have put up hoarding would be give seven days time to remove them.
Hoardings will also not be allowed in the vicinity of heritage buildings in the zone between Park Street and Victoria House in Central Kolkata.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Katra helicopter crash: 'Dead pilot' Sumita Vijayan says she is alive