Kolkata`s hub declared hoarding free zone
Kolkata: Taking forward plans to beautify Kolkata, the civic body has declared the commercial hub BBD Bag as a hoarding-free zone and also announced four jetties on the banks of the Ganges at Babughat, and installing new lampposts with bright illumination.
These were among the major initiatives discussed at a high level meeting of the Kolkata Municipal Corporation chaired by Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee Monday.
The meeting at the state secretariat dwelled on plans to give Kolkata a London-like look, as promised by Banerjee in the run-up to the April-May assembly elections.
Sources said four jetties and a flyover are planned on the banks of the Ganges in central Kolkata`s Babughat, which is an access point for the commercial hub B.B.D. Bag.
The B.B.D. Bag area would be revamped by installing the new lamposts, some of which have already been put up on Harish Mukherjee Road near Banerjee`s residence in south Kolkata`s Kalighat.
The pavements in the Dalhousie area would also be improved and widened while trees would be planted in large numbers.
"The target is to plant one lakh trees in the city," the source said.
Meanwhile, at a separate meeting with Kolkata police, Metro rail, PWD authorities, city mayor Sovan Chatterjee announced that the B.B.D. Bag area has been declared a no advertisement zone from Monday.
Companies and agencies which have put up hoarding would be give seven days time to remove them.
Hoardings will also not be allowed in the vicinity of heritage buildings in the zone between Park Street and Victoria House in Central Kolkata.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey