Kunal`s bail plea rejected, remanded in 5 days police custody
Kolkata: Court on Sunday rejected the bail plea of suspended Trinamool Congress MP Kunal Ghosh, arrested in connection with the Saradha ponzi scam, and sent him to five days police custody.
Additional chief judicial magistrate, Bidhannagar, Apurba Kumar Ghosh, passed the order after Ghosh was produced before him amid tight security.
While Ghosh`s counsel sought his bail, the police sought his custody for seven days for further investigation.
The Rajya Sabha member was arrested last night in connection with the Saradha ponzi scam.
Ghosh, who was suspended from Trinamool Congress for anti-party activities in September, tried to say something to the judge but he was not allowed.
His arrest was made in connection with a complaint filed by the general manager of a company Broadcast Worldwide.
Ghosh, the CEO of Saradha Group`s media arm, was charged under sections 420 (cheating), 406 (criminal breach of trust) and 120B (conspiracy) of the IPC.
Ghosh told reporters outside the court that he was on a fast since last night to protest the alleged cruel behaviour of the police towards him.
Before his arrest last night, the MP had filed an FIR against deputy commissioner of detective department (DCDD) of Bidhannagar Police Commissionerate, Arnab Ghosh, alleging `criminal blackmailing` by him.
He had alleged that the police officer had asked him to reply to questions which were beyond his comprehension or face arrest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves