La Mart principal to be tried for abetting suicide
Kolkata: A city court on Friday ordered that the Principal and three teachers of the prestigious La Martiniere School be tried for driving Rouvanjit Rawla to commit suicide, reframing charges after the police made them an accused of a lesser offence.
The four accused in the Rouvanjit suicide case would be tried under section 305 (abetment to suicide), section 324 (voluntarily causing hurt) and section 34 (common intention) of IPC, the 12th metropolitan magistrate, Bankshall Court directed.
The trial would begin before a sessions judge on December 14.
Principal Sunirmal Chakravarti and the three teachers --Garnian, Partho Dutta and David Raun -- had been arrested in connection with the suicide of the 13-year-old class VII student on February 12. All the four accused are currently on bail.
The case had been filed by the student`s father Ajay Rawla under section 305 (abetment to suicide) of IPC, but later the police filed a chargesheet under sections 323 and 324 (punishment for voluntarily causing hurt), 352 (punishment without grave provocation) and 23 of the Juvenile Justice (negligence of duty).
Rouvanjit had been found hanging in his room at his residence on February 12, four days after being allegedly caned by the principal for misbehaviour and disobedience.
Ajay Rawla filed the police complaint at the Shakespeare Sarani Police station four months after the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared on May 25