La Mart principal to be tried for abetting suicide
Kolkata: A city court on Friday ordered that the Principal and three teachers of the prestigious La Martiniere School be tried for driving Rouvanjit Rawla to commit suicide, reframing charges after the police made them an accused of a lesser offence.
The four accused in the Rouvanjit suicide case would be tried under section 305 (abetment to suicide), section 324 (voluntarily causing hurt) and section 34 (common intention) of IPC, the 12th metropolitan magistrate, Bankshall Court directed.
The trial would begin before a sessions judge on December 14.
Principal Sunirmal Chakravarti and the three teachers --Garnian, Partho Dutta and David Raun -- had been arrested in connection with the suicide of the 13-year-old class VII student on February 12. All the four accused are currently on bail.
The case had been filed by the student`s father Ajay Rawla under section 305 (abetment to suicide) of IPC, but later the police filed a chargesheet under sections 323 and 324 (punishment for voluntarily causing hurt), 352 (punishment without grave provocation) and 23 of the Juvenile Justice (negligence of duty).
Rouvanjit had been found hanging in his room at his residence on February 12, four days after being allegedly caned by the principal for misbehaviour and disobedience.
Ajay Rawla filed the police complaint at the Shakespeare Sarani Police station four months after the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon