La Martiniere yet to appoint counsellor for students: Lawyer
Kolkata: La Martiniere for Boys, the
school in the eye of a storm following the suicide of a
student after he was caned by the principal, does not have a
counsellor as laid down in NCPCR guidelines, a lawyer directed
by Calcutta High Court to ascertain whether the standards on
corporal punishment are being adhered to said today.
"The school authorities told me that they have not so
far appointed any counsellor, which is in the guidelines,"
said Tapas Bhanja after visiting La Martiniere.
"I was directed by the High Court on June 11 to visit
schools to find out whether the government guidelines on
corporal punishment were being implemented or not," Bhanja,
who has moved a PIL in the high court over corporal punishment
in schools, said.
"I also did not find any complaint box in the school
premises in accordance with the guidelines," he said.
Rouvanjit Rawla, a Class VIII was caned by principal
Sunirmal Chakraborti in February for misdemeanour. Rawla
committed suicide four days later on Febuary 12, with his
father filing a police complaint this month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result 2015 to be announced shortly