La Marts authorities refuse to sack principal for caning
Kolkata: The authorities of La Martiniere
for Boys` School today refused to sack its principal for
caning a student who allegedly committed suicide four days
later last February.
"There is no question of sacking the principal. He is
innocent unless proved guilty," secretary of the school
Supriyo Dhar said.
Rouvanjit Rawla, a Class VIII student of the school,
was caned by the school`s principal, Sunirmal Chakrabarthy,
for allegedly being indiscipline.
The father of the child had last week filed a police
complaint claiming the caning had caused depression in the
child, which finally led him to commit suicide.
The complaint was filed a good four months after the
The principal had on Tuesday described the caning as a
`mistake`, saying "I have apologised to the school board and
for this I am ready to face the consequences".
Chakrabarthy, however, had insisted the caning should not
be linked to the student`s death. "I think it is stretching it
a bit too far," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!