La Marts authorities refuse to sack principal for caning
Kolkata: The authorities of La Martiniere
for Boys` School today refused to sack its principal for
caning a student who allegedly committed suicide four days
later last February.
"There is no question of sacking the principal. He is
innocent unless proved guilty," secretary of the school
Supriyo Dhar said.
Rouvanjit Rawla, a Class VIII student of the school,
was caned by the school`s principal, Sunirmal Chakrabarthy,
for allegedly being indiscipline.
The father of the child had last week filed a police
complaint claiming the caning had caused depression in the
child, which finally led him to commit suicide.
The complaint was filed a good four months after the
The principal had on Tuesday described the caning as a
`mistake`, saying "I have apologised to the school board and
for this I am ready to face the consequences".
Chakrabarthy, however, had insisted the caning should not
be linked to the student`s death. "I think it is stretching it
a bit too far," he said.
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Shah Rukh Khan’s ‘Raees’ in trouble – Click here to read more
- Kapil Sharma meets 'showman' Subhash Ghai at Whistling Woods—See pic!
- Did 'Sultan' shoot disrupt Indian athletes' Olympic practice session at JLN Stadium? Here's what happened...
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan controversy: Adhyayan Suman explains why he broke his silence years after remaining tight-lipped
- Centre to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose today