Lalgarh carnage: Police custody for 2 CPI-M leaders
Kolkata: A court in West Bengal`s West Midnapore district on Tuesday sent two ruling Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) leaders, arrested over the January 7th Largarh carnage to 10 days police custody, a lawyer said.
"Two CPI-M leaders, Abani Singh and Ashwini Chalak, arrested on Monday, were presented before the Jhargram additional chief judicial magistrate`s court on Tuesday afternoon and remanded in police custody for 10 days", said public prosecutor Suman Das Mahapatra.
Police sought 14 days custody of the duo, but after hearing the case, the court allowed 10 days police remand, said defense counsel Tapan Sinha.
Both Abani and Ashwini are among the six accused and were arrested by the state police`s Criminal Investigation Department (CID).
Nine people, including four women, were killed and 28 people injured on January 7th in clashes triggered by assailants allegedly backed by the ruling Marxists in Netai near the Maoist stronghold Lalgarh in Midnapore district.
The CID, which is probing the incident, on Saturday released photographs of the six accused and announced a cash reward of Rs.50,000 for information leading to their arrest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state