Lalgarh carnage: Police custody for 2 CPI-M leaders
Kolkata: A court in West Bengal`s West Midnapore district on Tuesday sent two ruling Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) leaders, arrested over the January 7th Largarh carnage to 10 days police custody, a lawyer said.
"Two CPI-M leaders, Abani Singh and Ashwini Chalak, arrested on Monday, were presented before the Jhargram additional chief judicial magistrate`s court on Tuesday afternoon and remanded in police custody for 10 days", said public prosecutor Suman Das Mahapatra.
Police sought 14 days custody of the duo, but after hearing the case, the court allowed 10 days police remand, said defense counsel Tapan Sinha.
Both Abani and Ashwini are among the six accused and were arrested by the state police`s Criminal Investigation Department (CID).
Nine people, including four women, were killed and 28 people injured on January 7th in clashes triggered by assailants allegedly backed by the ruling Marxists in Netai near the Maoist stronghold Lalgarh in Midnapore district.
The CID, which is probing the incident, on Saturday released photographs of the six accused and announced a cash reward of Rs.50,000 for information leading to their arrest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?