Large arms, contraband haul from truck in Siliguri
Siliguri (WB): Nine persons were arrested after a large haul of arms, including one AK 47 rifle, four nine mm pistols, around 100 rounds of ammunition, were recovered from a truck bearing a fake registration number of a paramilitary force at Phulbari in Siliguri today.
Nine persons, all civilians, were arrested during the joint raid by Siliguri Police Commiserate and District Revenue officials, a top police official said today.
The truck, on its way from Dimapur in neighbouring Assam to Kharagpur, carried forged documents, painted in white resembling the vehicles used by the paramilitary force in North-East, the official said.
The arms and nine tonnes of ganja were hidden in the vehicle which also had a registration number similar to the ones used by the North-East force but preliminary enquiry found that number was also fake, he said.
The joint raid took place following a tip-off as the truck was passing by Fulbari.
The nine were being interrogated to know if others are also involved in the racket.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire