Large arms, contraband haul from truck in Siliguri
Siliguri (WB): Nine persons were arrested after a large haul of arms, including one AK 47 rifle, four nine mm pistols, around 100 rounds of ammunition, were recovered from a truck bearing a fake registration number of a paramilitary force at Phulbari in Siliguri today.
Nine persons, all civilians, were arrested during the joint raid by Siliguri Police Commiserate and District Revenue officials, a top police official said today.
The truck, on its way from Dimapur in neighbouring Assam to Kharagpur, carried forged documents, painted in white resembling the vehicles used by the paramilitary force in North-East, the official said.
The arms and nine tonnes of ganja were hidden in the vehicle which also had a registration number similar to the ones used by the North-East force but preliminary enquiry found that number was also fake, he said.
The joint raid took place following a tip-off as the truck was passing by Fulbari.
The nine were being interrogated to know if others are also involved in the racket.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nawaz Sharif's dream of making Kashmir a terror hell will never come true, says Sushma Swaraj
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- Scientists produce rare wood bison calves through IVF
- Munich pulls together after shopping mall shooting
- West Indies legend Vivian Richards hails Virat Kohli's 'magnificent' innings
- Indian aid worker Judith D'Souza rescued from captors in Afghanistan returns home
- 80 killed, over 200 injured in twin suicide bomb attacks on Kabul protesters; Islamic State claims responsibility