Large arms, contraband haul from truck in Siliguri
Siliguri (WB): Nine persons were arrested after a large haul of arms, including one AK 47 rifle, four nine mm pistols, around 100 rounds of ammunition, were recovered from a truck bearing a fake registration number of a paramilitary force at Phulbari in Siliguri today.
Nine persons, all civilians, were arrested during the joint raid by Siliguri Police Commiserate and District Revenue officials, a top police official said today.
The truck, on its way from Dimapur in neighbouring Assam to Kharagpur, carried forged documents, painted in white resembling the vehicles used by the paramilitary force in North-East, the official said.
The arms and nine tonnes of ganja were hidden in the vehicle which also had a registration number similar to the ones used by the North-East force but preliminary enquiry found that number was also fake, he said.
The joint raid took place following a tip-off as the truck was passing by Fulbari.
The nine were being interrogated to know if others are also involved in the racket.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city