Large arms, contraband haul from truck
Siliguri: Nine persons were arrested after a large haul of arms, including one AK 47 rifle, four nine mm pistols, around 100 rounds of ammunition, were recovered from a truck bearing a fake registration number of a paramilitary force at Phulbari in Siliguri on Thursday.
Nine persons, all civilians, were arrested during the joint raid by Siliguri Police Commiserate and District Revenue officials, a top police official said today.
The truck, on its way from Dimapur in neighbouring Assam to Kharagpur, carried forged documents, painted in white resembling the vehicles used by the paramilitary force in North-East, the official said.
The arms and nine tonnes of ganja were hidden in the vehicle which also had a registration number similar to the ones used by the North-East force but preliminary enquiry found that number was also fake, he said.
The joint raid took place following a tip-off as the truck was passing by Fulbari.
The nine were being interrogated to know if others are also involved in the racket.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'