Left asks governor to save Bengal from Trinamool`s `witch-hunt`
Kolkata: Accusing the Mamata Banerjee-led Trinamool Congress government of launching a "witch-hunt to stop the voice of democracy" in West Bengal, the opposition Left Front Wednesday submitted a memorandum to Governor M.K. Narayanan seeking his intervention to save the state from the "emerging anarchic situation".
The Left Front has also drawn the governor`s attention to several issues including the Saradha chit fund scam claiming the state government was "reluctant to hand over important documents" to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), which is probing the scandal.
"After successfully organising a turbid election, the top brass of the state government has now begun witch-hunting to stop the voice of democracy. The law abiding people within the administration are drastically harassed for not being the `yes men` of the ruling party, even eminent personalities are not spared," said the memorandum signed by Leader of Opposition Surjya Kanta Mishra among others.
Claiming that the administration provided "covert support to the ruling party to paralyze the right to franchise", the Left Front said even some Election Commission observers expressed their helplessness in preventing malpractices during the Lok Sabha polls.
It said after the declaration of the results, the ruling party has unleashed brutal attacks on Left supporters and workers as well as the common people across the state.
"The issues of chit fund scam, corruption and nepotism in appointment of teachers, atrocities on women, attacks on the livelihood of thousands of people, etc, cannot be legitimised by the verdict in favour of the ruling party in the Lok Sabha election by dint of unprecedented threats, terror and rigging," said the Left Front.
On the Saradha issue, it alleged that the state government "wants to hide something" in its "reluctance to cooperate" in the probe by the central agencies.
"We express our grief and anxiety to you with a hope that you will take the role of a guardian of the aggrieved and suffering people of the state and execute your high office for redressal of grievances and save the state from this emerging anarchic situation," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- CBSE Class 12th Board Exam Results 2015: cbseresults.nic.in crashes