Left Front announces two candidates for bypolls
Kolkata: The Opposition Left Front Thursday announced the name of the candidates for up-coming bypolls in the two Assembly constituencies in the state.
Left Front Chairman and CPI(M) state Secretary Biman Bose today announced the names of Mrinal Chakaraborty and Faiz Ahmed Khan as Front candidates from Basirhat South and Chowringhee assembly seats respectively, which will go to polls on September 13.
Ruling Trinamool Congress has already named former Indian football team captain Dipendu Biswas and actor-turned-candidate Nayana Bandopadhyay as their contenders from the two segments.
The Chowringhee bypoll was necessitated following the resignation of Sikha Mitra, a TMC MLA.
Mitra and her husband Somen Mitra, a former TMC Lok Sabha MP from Diamond Harbour, left the party after prolonged with the TMC top brass.
In Basirhat Dakshin, the sitting CPI(M) MLA Narayan Mukhopadhyay had died resulting in the by-poll.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH