Left Front bats for talks on Gorkhaland issue
Kolkata: Even as West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee asked the GJM to withdraw its indefinite stir over Gorkhaland, the Left Front on Thursday urged both parties to engage in a dialogue process.
"I would urge both the Gorkha Janmukti Morcha (GJM) as well as the state government to ensure that the GTA (Gorkhaland Territorial Administration) is allowed to function as well as to keep open the option of dialogue," Front leader Surjya Kanta Mishra said here.
Ruling out any division of the state, Banerjee on Thursday accused the GJM of stalling development in the Darjeeling hills and asked it to withdraw its stir which began on August 03, spurred by the UPA endorsing a separate Telangana.
With Banerjee scheduled to visit the strife-torn hills on September 02, Mishra also cautioned the state government to ensure no untoward incident took place during her trip when she would be participating in a Lepcha community programme in Kalimpong.
The Communist Party of India-Marxist-led Left Front has been asking the government to call an all-party meeting to resolve the Gorkhaland issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note