Left front, Congress allege TMC attack prior to panchayat polls
Kolkata: Left front and Congress alleged on Monday that opposition parties were being attacked by ruling Trinamool Congress prior to the panchayat polls in West Bengal and urged the state election commission to ensure fool-proof security for their candidates and workers.
"Left Front workers are being threatened even before the formal notification of the panchayat election is made. We demand that the state election commission take appropriate steps so that opposition candidates can file their nominations," LF chairman Biman Bose said after a Front meeting.
The TMC government, he alleged, had unleashed `terror` prior to the panchayat polls in the state.
West Bengal PCC too alleged that TMC workers had launched attacks on its workers in various districts.
Pradesh Congress leader Manas Bhuinya sent a letter to the state election commissioner Mira Pandey requesting her to ensure that all security arrangements were made for the panchayat elections.
Bhuinya said after the Maoist massacre at Sukma in Chattisgarh, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee should ensure that panchayat polls in the Left Wing Extremist-infested districts of West Midnapore, Bankura and Purulia were held peacefully.
"Maoists are very much there in the three districts and the government should ensure security of voters," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video