Left front, Congress allege TMC attack prior to panchayat polls
Kolkata: Left front and Congress alleged on Monday that opposition parties were being attacked by ruling Trinamool Congress prior to the panchayat polls in West Bengal and urged the state election commission to ensure fool-proof security for their candidates and workers.
"Left Front workers are being threatened even before the formal notification of the panchayat election is made. We demand that the state election commission take appropriate steps so that opposition candidates can file their nominations," LF chairman Biman Bose said after a Front meeting.
The TMC government, he alleged, had unleashed `terror` prior to the panchayat polls in the state.
West Bengal PCC too alleged that TMC workers had launched attacks on its workers in various districts.
Pradesh Congress leader Manas Bhuinya sent a letter to the state election commissioner Mira Pandey requesting her to ensure that all security arrangements were made for the panchayat elections.
Bhuinya said after the Maoist massacre at Sukma in Chattisgarh, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee should ensure that panchayat polls in the Left Wing Extremist-infested districts of West Midnapore, Bankura and Purulia were held peacefully.
"Maoists are very much there in the three districts and the government should ensure security of voters," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Cow slaughter should be banned across the country; Muslims should stop eating meat: Azam Khan
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials