Left front, Congress allege TMC attack prior to panchayat polls
Kolkata: Left front and Congress alleged on Monday that opposition parties were being attacked by ruling Trinamool Congress prior to the panchayat polls in West Bengal and urged the state election commission to ensure fool-proof security for their candidates and workers.
"Left Front workers are being threatened even before the formal notification of the panchayat election is made. We demand that the state election commission take appropriate steps so that opposition candidates can file their nominations," LF chairman Biman Bose said after a Front meeting.
The TMC government, he alleged, had unleashed `terror` prior to the panchayat polls in the state.
West Bengal PCC too alleged that TMC workers had launched attacks on its workers in various districts.
Pradesh Congress leader Manas Bhuinya sent a letter to the state election commissioner Mira Pandey requesting her to ensure that all security arrangements were made for the panchayat elections.
Bhuinya said after the Maoist massacre at Sukma in Chattisgarh, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee should ensure that panchayat polls in the Left Wing Extremist-infested districts of West Midnapore, Bankura and Purulia were held peacefully.
"Maoists are very much there in the three districts and the government should ensure security of voters," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- ISL 2015: Chennaiyin FC vs Atletico de Kolkata - Preview
- Singh Is Bliing movie review: Watch it for Akshay Kumar!
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'