Left Front observes Basu`s birth anniversary outsi
Kolkata: Opposition Left Front on Sunday set a precedent by observing former Chief Minister Jyoti Basu`s birth anniversary outside the West Bengal Assembly after the Speaker disallowed many ex-MLAs to enter the premises on a holiday.
Leader of the Opposition in the state Assembly Surjya Kanta Mishra, a senior leader of the CPI-M, said Speaker Biman Banerjee allowed only the current MLAs, MPs and former Speaker H A Halim to enter the House to observe Basu`s birth anniversary, describing the stand as "unprecedented".
"In protest, we observed Basu`s birth anniversary outside the north gate of the Assembly. Only some members along with me and former speaker H A Halim entered the Assembly premises to garland the portrait of Basu," Mishra said.
When contacted, the Speaker told PTI that he cannot allow everybody to enter into the House on a holiday without prior permission.
"Any non-member or former member of the House may not have any job in the House on a holiday. For any specific reason, they could be allowed only after prior permission. Unfortunately I have not received any official request in this regard," Banerjee argued.
Though Basu`s birthday falls on July eight, the West Bengal government observed the birth anniversary two days ago because the Assembly does not sit on a Sunday. The Left Front MLAs had abstained from the function.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla