Left Front rally attacked in Kolkata, several injured
Kolkata: A Left Front rally was today allegedly attacked by Trinamool Congress supporters leaving eight people injured including two women, even as the TMC denied the allegation.
A scheduled rally of the Left Front led by LF chairman and CPI(M) Politburo member Biman Bose started from Chiria More area in the northern fringes of the city this morning against price rise and demanding a CBI inquiry into the Saradha ponzi scam.
As soon as the rally started, Trinamool Congress activists allegedly took out a parallel rally and started hurling abuses at the LF leadership.
After a brief altercation, stones and shoes were hurled at the Left rally, injuring eight people including two women. The injured were admitted to a nearby hospital.
"They tried to disperse the rally by hurling stones and shoes. The entire incident happened in the presence of police officers. We condemn such audacious and barbaric attack on democratic rights by the Trinamool Congress," Bose said.
He said the Left`s claim of Trinamool trying snatch away people`s democratic rights in the state have only been cemented by today`s attack on the LF rally in the heart of the city.
The Left Front has lodged an FIR about the incident with the police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley