Left Front to boycott Assembly Platinum Jubilee celebrations
Kolkata: Charging the ruling Trinamool Congress of misbehaving with opposition MLAs on the floor of the House and destroying democratic set up in the state, the Left Front is all set to boycott the platinum jubilee celebrations of the Assembly.
"Tomorrow all MLAs of the four Left parties are going to boycott the platinum jubilee celebrations," a Forward Bloc leader who attended today`s Left Front meeting, told a news agency.
"The LF legislature party will meet the speaker rpt speaker tomorrow and submit a memorandum stating their concerns, the misbehaviour of ruling MLAs and destruction of democratic set up. The Left legislature party will boycott the celebrations,"RSP state secretary Khisti Goswami told the agency.
A sharp division within the Left Front had earlier come to the fore after the CPI and RSP advocated in favour of joining the celebrations and utilise the three-day long special session to voice the Opposition`s concerns in the House, and the CPI(M) and Forward Bloc shared the opinion of not attending the celebrations.
The matter was slated to be decided in today`s LF meeting.
Though the Leader of Opposition Surjya Kanta Mishra had said the matter would be decided in the LF meeting, Front chairman Biman Bose said after the meet that the Left Front legislature party would take a final call.
"We were in favour of joining the Platinum Jubilee celebrations. Being the main opposition if we don`t join the celebrations, it will send a wrong message as several important people like the President and the Lok Sabha Speaker will be attending the program," Goswami said.
"But it is only due to internal democracy within the Left Front that we have been able to register our difference of opinion," he said.
The Platinum Jubilee celebrations of the West Bengal Assembly would be held from December 4 to 6, which would be attended by President Pranab Mukherjee and Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar.
"If they (Left legislature party) want to talk to me, I am ready. But it will be really unfortunate if they decide to boycott the program," Assembly Speaker Biman Banerjee said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA