Left regained lost ground despite defeat: Buddhadeb
Kolkata: CPI(M) politburo member Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee on Monday said the results of the panchayat election have shown that despite its defeat, the Left regained a portion of the political ground it had lost during the last assembly polls.
"Trinamool Congress`s victory in panchayat polls is due to rampant violence it had let loose in coordination with the police administration. But irrespective of such inhuman terror, the Left have put up a good fight in districts like Nadia, South and 24 Parganas, South Dinajpur, Malda and Murshidabad," Bhattacharjee said while addressing a rally.
The former Chief Minister, however, vowed that the party leadership would weed out the unwanted and the corrupt elements from the CPI(M), whom the people don`t want as a member of a communist party.
"This panchayat election had shown that we are not zero. But at the same time we want to say that we want to rectify our party and weed out the corrupt elements from within the party," said Bhattacharjee.
Bhattacharjee also warned that those who had joined the party for monetary and material gains should leave it as such elements were sullying the party`s image.
"People sometimes ask us whether we are carrying out our rectification process. We want to say yes. And we also know that people want us to speed up the rectification process. We are trying to speed up the process," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack