Left regained lost ground despite defeat: Buddhadeb
Kolkata: CPI(M) politburo member Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee on Monday said the results of the panchayat election have shown that despite its defeat, the Left regained a portion of the political ground it had lost during the last assembly polls.
"Trinamool Congress`s victory in panchayat polls is due to rampant violence it had let loose in coordination with the police administration. But irrespective of such inhuman terror, the Left have put up a good fight in districts like Nadia, South and 24 Parganas, South Dinajpur, Malda and Murshidabad," Bhattacharjee said while addressing a rally.
The former Chief Minister, however, vowed that the party leadership would weed out the unwanted and the corrupt elements from the CPI(M), whom the people don`t want as a member of a communist party.
"This panchayat election had shown that we are not zero. But at the same time we want to say that we want to rectify our party and weed out the corrupt elements from within the party," said Bhattacharjee.
Bhattacharjee also warned that those who had joined the party for monetary and material gains should leave it as such elements were sullying the party`s image.
"People sometimes ask us whether we are carrying out our rectification process. We want to say yes. And we also know that people want us to speed up the rectification process. We are trying to speed up the process," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened