Left stages walkout over dengue deaths in WB
Kolkata: Left parties in the West Bengal Assembly on Tuesday walked out after Speaker Biman Banerjee disallowed adjournment motions on dengue deaths in the state.
Leader of the Opposition and CPI(M) member Surya Kant Mishra and Ajay De of Congress moved adjournment motions demanding a discussion on rising incidents of dengue deaths in the state and the government`s failure to tackle it.
The Speaker refused to admit it saying the matter was not that serious which needed a debate in the House.
Members of both the parties protested the Speaker`s decision and started shouting slogans.
The Left MLAs rushed to the well with placards in hand and a green mosquito net shouting slogans against the government.
Abdur Rezzak Mollah of CPI(M) sat in the well wrapped in the mosquito net while Left members went around him in circles for quite some time, after which they walked out of the House.
Later, Mishra told reporters that there were 49 dengue deaths in the state since its outbreak and thousands were affected, but the government was taking no action to assuage the situation.
Stating that this time dengue deaths were the highest in the state, he alleged that the government was not taking it seriously.
Mishra said even the Congress had said that patients were not getting beds in government hospitals and facing acute shortage of blood.
He said that the government was denying everything happening in the state including bird-flu, which it was allegedly trying to cover up.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know