Left unity will not be hit due to Prez poll issue: CPI(M)
Kolkata: The CPI(M) on Monday said that Left unity would not be affected in anyway because of the RSP and CPI not supporting the candidature of UPA`s Presidential nominee Pranab Mukherjee.
"Despite the RSP and the CPI having taken a different stand on the issue, the unity of the Left, particularly Left front, will not be affected in anyway," CPI(M) leader and Leader of the Oppositon in West Bengal Assembly Suryakanta Mishra told reporters here.
Several members of CPI(M), Forward Bloc, Samajwadi Party and DSP, which have extended support to Mukherjee`s candidature, had a meeting with Mukherjee in the Assmebly premises.
Mishra, however, said that supporting the UPA`s Presidential candidate did not mean that the Left and the democratic movement against the Centre`s "anti-people" policies, would be relaxed.
"The Left and the democratic movement do not depend in anyway on the issue of support to UPA`s presidential candidate," he said.
To a question, he said that Mukherjee met MPs and MLAs of the CPI(M) and Forward Bloc and MLAs of DSP and Samajwadi Party and thanked them for extending support to him.
"We also thanked him for meeting us," Mishra said.
On Trinamool Congress-Congress tussle issue helping the CPI(M) as well as the Left, Mishra said, "Such a difference has been brewing for a long time and we knew that any rainbow alliance will not be permanent.
"However, the CPI(M) will not depend on what will happen to the ties between the Trinamool Congress and the Congress. We depend on our own strength and our own plans and programmes," the CPI(M) leader said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!