Left unity will not be hit due to Prez poll issue: CPI(M)
Kolkata: The CPI(M) on Monday said that Left unity would not be affected in anyway because of the RSP and CPI not supporting the candidature of UPA`s Presidential nominee Pranab Mukherjee.
"Despite the RSP and the CPI having taken a different stand on the issue, the unity of the Left, particularly Left front, will not be affected in anyway," CPI(M) leader and Leader of the Oppositon in West Bengal Assembly Suryakanta Mishra told reporters here.
Several members of CPI(M), Forward Bloc, Samajwadi Party and DSP, which have extended support to Mukherjee`s candidature, had a meeting with Mukherjee in the Assmebly premises.
Mishra, however, said that supporting the UPA`s Presidential candidate did not mean that the Left and the democratic movement against the Centre`s "anti-people" policies, would be relaxed.
"The Left and the democratic movement do not depend in anyway on the issue of support to UPA`s presidential candidate," he said.
To a question, he said that Mukherjee met MPs and MLAs of the CPI(M) and Forward Bloc and MLAs of DSP and Samajwadi Party and thanked them for extending support to him.
"We also thanked him for meeting us," Mishra said.
On Trinamool Congress-Congress tussle issue helping the CPI(M) as well as the Left, Mishra said, "Such a difference has been brewing for a long time and we knew that any rainbow alliance will not be permanent.
"However, the CPI(M) will not depend on what will happen to the ties between the Trinamool Congress and the Congress. We depend on our own strength and our own plans and programmes," the CPI(M) leader said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader