Lepchas ` Hunger-strike enter fifth day
Darjeeling: The indefinite fast by the Lepchas entered the fifth day on Monday protesting the Gorkha Janmukti Morcha`s opposition to the Lepcha Development Board announced by West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee.
The hunger-strikers were on fast at the Kalipmong Town Hall and the Trikon Park also in Kalimpong town.
Indigenous Lepcha Tribal Association President L Tamsang said the fast would continue as long as the `misinformation campaign` by the GJM continued.
Members of the All India Lepcha Association also took out a procession in Darjeeling town.
The Lepchas are the original inhabitants of Darjeeling numbering 1.5 lakh. PTI
Dhar admin taking steps for peaceful prayers at Bhojshala
Dhar(MP): The district administration here is making all efforts to prevent any ugly situation at the controversial Bhojshala here in wake of the Basant Panchami falling on February 15, a Friday, a senior official said today.
"We are leaving no stone unturned to ensure that this week both Tuesday and Friday pass off peacefully without any untoward incident," Dhar Collector C B Singh said.
Heavy police security has been deployed around the complex to avoid any untoward incident, police said.
Bhojshala complex is home to a Saraswati temple and Kamal Maula Mosque.
Coincidentally, Basant Panchami and the Friday Jumma Namaz this year are falling on the same day--February 15.
Routinely, every Tuesday Hindus offer prayers at Bhojshala while Muslims offer Namaz every Friday.
During the Basant Panchami festival, Hindus are allowed to perform puja at the monument the whole day.
The above arrangement was made following regular disputes between the two communities over the issue of ownership of the monument.
Some organisations have demanded that they should be allowed to offer prayers at the temple for the whole day on Basant Panchami.
Yesterday, some organisations of a community took out a `Shaurya Yatra` to ask devotees to come in large numbers for praying at Bhojshala on Basant Panchami.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part III
- Cleanliness an issue at railway stations, needs to be addressed: CAG
- Bhagwant Mann video exposed whole security system of Parliament, finds Lok Sabha probe panel
- BCCI line-up special General Meeting in Mumbai on August 5 to discuss Lodha recommendations
- Woman Rahul Gandhi hugged in Una was not related to any victim, has criminal record
- Tributes paid to Kargil martyr in Nagland