Let Sangma read the constitution: WB Cong chief
Kolkata: Urging the Trinamool Congress to support UPA presidential nominee Pranab Mukherjee, the West Bengal pradesh Congress chief Sunday rebuked his rival P A Sangma for demanding a debate with Mukherjee.
"He has reportedly demanded a debate (with Pranab Mukherjee). Is he not aware of the constitution of India and the dos and don`ts of a president? He should first read it to develop better understanding of the post," state Congress president Pradip Bhattacharya said.
Sangma earlier sought a debate with Mukherjee saying the Indian economy was in a bad shape. "Democracy means debate... I am asking for a debate," Sangma said.
"He (Sangma) is not getting proper support, so he is trying to hog the limelight by using these tricks," Bhattacharya said.
The Rajya Sabha MP and veteran Congress leader said that he hoped the former Lok Sabha speaker would not get any support from political parties in Bengal.
"I hope Sangma will not get any support from any of the political parties from Bengal. I once again appeal to all the parties in the state, including the Trinamool Congress and other Left parties, to support Pranab `da`s` candidature," Bhattacharya said.
Trinamool, the second largest constituent of the UPA, is yet to announce its stand on the presidential choice after its preferred candidate, former president APJ Abdul Kalam, declined to contest.
However, Trinamool chief and West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee has so far firmly opposed Mukherjee`s candidature for president`s post.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Revealed: How Pakistan's ISI spy racket operated in India