Let Sangma read the constitution: WB Cong chief
Kolkata: Urging the Trinamool Congress to support UPA presidential nominee Pranab Mukherjee, the West Bengal pradesh Congress chief Sunday rebuked his rival P A Sangma for demanding a debate with Mukherjee.
"He has reportedly demanded a debate (with Pranab Mukherjee). Is he not aware of the constitution of India and the dos and don`ts of a president? He should first read it to develop better understanding of the post," state Congress president Pradip Bhattacharya said.
Sangma earlier sought a debate with Mukherjee saying the Indian economy was in a bad shape. "Democracy means debate... I am asking for a debate," Sangma said.
"He (Sangma) is not getting proper support, so he is trying to hog the limelight by using these tricks," Bhattacharya said.
The Rajya Sabha MP and veteran Congress leader said that he hoped the former Lok Sabha speaker would not get any support from political parties in Bengal.
"I hope Sangma will not get any support from any of the political parties from Bengal. I once again appeal to all the parties in the state, including the Trinamool Congress and other Left parties, to support Pranab `da`s` candidature," Bhattacharya said.
Trinamool, the second largest constituent of the UPA, is yet to announce its stand on the presidential choice after its preferred candidate, former president APJ Abdul Kalam, declined to contest.
However, Trinamool chief and West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee has so far firmly opposed Mukherjee`s candidature for president`s post.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’