LF abstain from observation of Jyoti Basu`s b’day
Kolkata: Left Front MLAs stayed away from the observation of the 96th birthday of Jyoti Basu in the Assembly advanced from Sunday to Friday by the West Bengal government, with Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee accusing them of politicking over it.
"They have indulged in politics. Those who have done politics with Basu, let God forgive them," Banerjee said while paying tribute to the late CPI(M) patriarch and former chief minister.
Banerjee who along with Speaker Biman Banerjee were among those who offered flowers at Basu`s portrait, said that the Left Front members had shown discourtesy to a great leader belonging to the CPI(M).
Leader of the Opposition Surya Kant Mishra, belonging to the CPI(M) said that Basu`s birthday would be observed on the original date of July eight.
Left Front members had earlier abstained from attending the advanced birthday observation of the first chief minister of Bengal Bidhan Chandra Roy in the assembly on June 29, though his actual date of birth was July one which was a Sunday.
Tributes were also paid to Hindu Mahasabha founder Shyama Prasad Mukherjee in the house today on his birthday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof