LF alleges TMC threats against Left poll workers in Howrah
Kolkata: The Left Front on Friday lodged a complaint with the Election Commission about alleged Trinamool Congress threats against Left workers campaigning for CPI(M) candidate Sridip Bhattacharya in the Howrah Lok Sabha by-election.
Bhattacharya, flanked by CPI(M) state secretariat member Rabin Deb, met the state`s Chief Electoral Officer here and lodged complaints that there had been "hooliganism and constant threats" by Trinamool Congress workers against Left Front supporters to disrupt their campaigning.
"We demand that all booths in the constituency be declared "hyper sensitive" by the EC, which should ensure full security to the voters for a free, fair and peaceful election there on June 2," he said.
Deb alleged that ruling Trinamool Congress had clearly violated the election code of conduct in the constituency where the Chief Minister herself announced some projects even after the model code of conduct came into force.
By-election to the Howrah Lok Sabha seat has been necessitated by the death of Ambica Banerjee (Trinamool Congress) with the main contest likely to be among Prasun Banerjee (TMC), Sanatan Mukherjee (Congress) and Sridip Bhattacharya (CPI-M).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border