LF alleges TMC threats against Left poll workers in Howrah
Kolkata: The Left Front on Friday lodged a complaint with the Election Commission about alleged Trinamool Congress threats against Left workers campaigning for CPI(M) candidate Sridip Bhattacharya in the Howrah Lok Sabha by-election.
Bhattacharya, flanked by CPI(M) state secretariat member Rabin Deb, met the state`s Chief Electoral Officer here and lodged complaints that there had been "hooliganism and constant threats" by Trinamool Congress workers against Left Front supporters to disrupt their campaigning.
"We demand that all booths in the constituency be declared "hyper sensitive" by the EC, which should ensure full security to the voters for a free, fair and peaceful election there on June 2," he said.
Deb alleged that ruling Trinamool Congress had clearly violated the election code of conduct in the constituency where the Chief Minister herself announced some projects even after the model code of conduct came into force.
By-election to the Howrah Lok Sabha seat has been necessitated by the death of Ambica Banerjee (Trinamool Congress) with the main contest likely to be among Prasun Banerjee (TMC), Sanatan Mukherjee (Congress) and Sridip Bhattacharya (CPI-M).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- GHMC election results: TRS scores landslide win; TDP-BJP wiped out
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...