LF alleges TMC threats against Left poll workers in Howrah
Kolkata: The Left Front on Friday lodged a complaint with the Election Commission about alleged Trinamool Congress threats against Left workers campaigning for CPI(M) candidate Sridip Bhattacharya in the Howrah Lok Sabha by-election.
Bhattacharya, flanked by CPI(M) state secretariat member Rabin Deb, met the state`s Chief Electoral Officer here and lodged complaints that there had been "hooliganism and constant threats" by Trinamool Congress workers against Left Front supporters to disrupt their campaigning.
"We demand that all booths in the constituency be declared "hyper sensitive" by the EC, which should ensure full security to the voters for a free, fair and peaceful election there on June 2," he said.
Deb alleged that ruling Trinamool Congress had clearly violated the election code of conduct in the constituency where the Chief Minister herself announced some projects even after the model code of conduct came into force.
By-election to the Howrah Lok Sabha seat has been necessitated by the death of Ambica Banerjee (Trinamool Congress) with the main contest likely to be among Prasun Banerjee (TMC), Sanatan Mukherjee (Congress) and Sridip Bhattacharya (CPI-M).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka