LF questions removal of foundation stone laid by President
Kolkata: Ruling Left Front in West Bengal
on Monday took strong execption to the removal of the foundation
stone laid by President Pratibha Patil at Joka in South 24
Parganas district for a Metro Rail project.
Left Front chairman Biman Bose demanded to know why the
foundation stone was removed, who the land belonged to and
under which laws it was acquired.
"We want all these questions answered," he told
The stone was removed by metro officials just days after
it was laid by the President on September 22.
However, metro officials said the foundation stone was
removed to as they wanted to preserve and protect it from any
damage and once the metro station is built at Joka the stone
would be placed again.
They added that the land where the metro station
would come up belonged to the Bratachari Samity which has
agreed to hand it over to the metro and land acquisition
process is still on and would be completed soon.
Meanwhile, referring to the issue of corruption, Bose
said that the Left Front has announced a fortnight-long
movement on scams including the 2G spectrum allocation and a
close watch would be kept on whether UPA ally Railway Minister
Mamata Banerjee commented on them.
"We have not heard as yet anything against the scams. Let
us see which way the water flows," he said in reply to a
"Large-scale corruption cases and scandals including the
2G spectrum allocation involving Rs 1.76 lakh crore have
occurred which has lowered the country`s image and also
affected development work," he said.
The large amount of money involved could have been used
for strengthening public distribution system, welfare schemes
and people working in the unorganised sector, he said.
Bose, the state secretary of CPI(M), also alleged that
two Trinamool Congress-controlled zilla parishads in East
Midnapore and South 24 Parganas districts had failed to
properly implement the MNREGA providing 100 days work.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda