Life normal in Dooars, Darjeeling remains paralysed
Darjeeling: Life in the Darjeeling Hills was on Sunday crippled for the fifth day of the agitation for separate Gorkhaland, but vehicles plied normally in the Dooars foothills after the Gorkha Janmukti Morcha (GJM) called off its indefinite bandh in the plains.
Tension prevailed in Kurseong of the Darjeeling Hills
as the body of Nita Khawas (22), who died of bullet wounds at
a Siliguri hospital yesterday after getting injured at Sikchu
police firing on February 8, was taken out by GJM and cremated
at Sitai, official sources said.
Besides Kurseong, where very few people other than
Morcha supporters ventured out, life remained paralysed in
Mirik, Kalimpong, Darjeeling town and elsewhere in the hills
with all shops downing shutters and passenger vehicles staying
off the road, the sources said.
Life was, meanwhile, normal in all pockets of Dooars
in Jalpaiguri district, including Bagrakot, Banarhat,
Jaldhaka, Chalsa, Meteli where the GJM-sponsored bandh had
evoked some response in the past four days, they said.
All shops and markets were open in the Dooars as
vehicles plied normally.
In the hills, the relay hunger strike and other forms
of agitations by the GJM, called in support of the demand for
Gorkhaland and CBI inquiry into the February 8 police firing
at Sipchu causing the death of three Morcha supporters, went
The GJM had lifted its indefinite strike in Dooars
and postponed the padayatra in the plains after a meeting with
Centre`s interlocutor Vijay Madan yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation – Part II
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof