Lights off at Rashtrapati Bhavan to observe Earth Hour
New Delhi: In a rare event, the Rashtrapati
Bhavan today plunged into darkness to mark the Earth Hour and
joined millions of people across the globe who observed the
All the lights at the imposing structure, situated at
the top of Raisina Hill in the national capital, were switched
During this one hour period, all non-essential lights in
the Rashtrapati Bhavan, the President`s Estate and also the
family wing of President Pratibha Patil were switched off, a
Rashtrapati Bhavan spokesperson said.
"The Residents Welfare Association of the President`s
estate has been involved in preparations for observation of
Earth Hour," the spokesperson said.
Organised by World Wide Fund for Nature, the `Earth
Hour` is celebrated across major cities of the world on the
last Saturday of March annually by turning off non-essential
lights and electrical appliances for one hour from 8:30 pm to
Throughout the last year, efforts have been made under
the Roshini Programme to reduce consumption of electricity in
the main building of Rashtrapati Bhavan as well in the
President`s Estate. There was a reduction of 22.3 per cent in
electricity consumption and reduction of 16.8 per cent in the
total number of units consumed, as compared to calendar year
2009, the statement said.
As a result, savings on electricity consumption were
approximately Rs 1.64 crore and about 26 lakh units were
saved, it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends