Little surprise if Trinamool joins hands with BJP: CPI-M
New Delhi: With general elections approaching, CPI(M) on Thursday said it would be of "little surprise" to it if Trinamool Congress joined hands with BJP and Narendra Modi to share the spoils of office.
"It would be of little surprise if the projected RSS-BJP Prime Ministerial aspirant receives positive vibes from the West Bengal Chief Minister (Mamata Banerjee). The Gujarat CM as PM and West Bengal CM would, indeed, be a lethal cocktail threatening the future of Indian secular democracy," senior CPI(M) leader Sitaram Yechury said.
Observing that it was "ominous" that an "attack on democracy and civil liberties" was going on in West Bengal "when there seems to be a rightward shift in Indian politics", he said "it is well-known that Trinamool Congress has absolutely no reservations or any compunctions in doing business with the RSS-BJP."
"For being party to share the spoils of office, Trinamool Congress would be willing to do business with RSS-BJP or Congress," Yechury said in an editorial in the forthcoming issue of CPI(M) organ `People`s Democracy`.
"Having left the ruling NDA on some reason, she (Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee) rejoined the Union cabinet soon after the 2002 communal carnage in Gujarat. Obviously, she suffered from no sense of guilt to associate with the Union cabinet that virtually condoned the Gujarat communal pogrom," he said.
While Trinamool aligned with Congress in the 2009 general elections and 2011 assembly elections with Banerjee serving as the Railway minister under Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, he said, "The Trinamool Congress chief has displayed utter contempt for any political commitment or sincerity."
But in pursuit of their ambitions through political opportunism, Banerjee`s party "cannot be permitted to destroy the foundations of democracy and democratic institutions that grievously undermine the democratic rights and civil liberties of the people," Yechury said, adding 142 Left cadres were killed since it assumed power in Bengal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks