Local issues dominate bypoll campaigning in Odisha
Nabarangpur: Local issues
dominate the campaigning of both Congress and BJP for the
bypoll in Umarkote assembly constituency in Odisha on
The two national parties are focussing on local issues
as it would influence locals, majority of whom are illiterate
and have little knowledge about national and state issues.
Leaders of both parties are highlighting growing
crimes, including murder and exploitation of tribals, during
the two and half year tenure of BJD MLA Jagabandhu Majhi, who
was gunned down by suspected Maoists on September 24.
For the ruling BJD, local leaders are awaiting the
arrival of their stalwarts including ministers, MPs and MLAs.
Having already completed their party workers meetings,
Congress and BJP are now moving to villages in Maoist infested
Raighar and Umarkote blocks for campaign.
BJP candidate Dharmu Gond, who lost the polls in 2009
general elections, is confident of victory. "Different
sections of people were exploited and harassed like anything.
At least 12 tribal people belonging to Gond community were
murdered during last two years," he alleged.
Dharmu claimed that peace in the area was disturbed
by local BJD leaders.
BJP`s state Vice-president, Ashok Sahu, who has been
camping from the day of nomination, also raised issues of
corruption during BJD rule in the state and Congress-led UPA
Government at the centre.
Similarly, Congress which is slowly making inroads to
rural areas has also been raising local issues.
PCC President Niranjan Patnaik, said Congress would
make the killing of 12 tribal’s and exploitation on poor during
BJD rule its main poll plank.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof