Local issues dominate bypoll campaigning in Odisha
Nabarangpur: Local issues
dominate the campaigning of both Congress and BJP for the
bypoll in Umarkote assembly constituency in Odisha on
The two national parties are focussing on local issues
as it would influence locals, majority of whom are illiterate
and have little knowledge about national and state issues.
Leaders of both parties are highlighting growing
crimes, including murder and exploitation of tribals, during
the two and half year tenure of BJD MLA Jagabandhu Majhi, who
was gunned down by suspected Maoists on September 24.
For the ruling BJD, local leaders are awaiting the
arrival of their stalwarts including ministers, MPs and MLAs.
Having already completed their party workers meetings,
Congress and BJP are now moving to villages in Maoist infested
Raighar and Umarkote blocks for campaign.
BJP candidate Dharmu Gond, who lost the polls in 2009
general elections, is confident of victory. "Different
sections of people were exploited and harassed like anything.
At least 12 tribal people belonging to Gond community were
murdered during last two years," he alleged.
Dharmu claimed that peace in the area was disturbed
by local BJD leaders.
BJP`s state Vice-president, Ashok Sahu, who has been
camping from the day of nomination, also raised issues of
corruption during BJD rule in the state and Congress-led UPA
Government at the centre.
Similarly, Congress which is slowly making inroads to
rural areas has also been raising local issues.
PCC President Niranjan Patnaik, said Congress would
make the killing of 12 tribal’s and exploitation on poor during
BJD rule its main poll plank.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal