Local issues dominate bypoll campaigning in Odisha
Nabarangpur: Local issues
dominate the campaigning of both Congress and BJP for the
bypoll in Umarkote assembly constituency in Odisha on
The two national parties are focussing on local issues
as it would influence locals, majority of whom are illiterate
and have little knowledge about national and state issues.
Leaders of both parties are highlighting growing
crimes, including murder and exploitation of tribals, during
the two and half year tenure of BJD MLA Jagabandhu Majhi, who
was gunned down by suspected Maoists on September 24.
For the ruling BJD, local leaders are awaiting the
arrival of their stalwarts including ministers, MPs and MLAs.
Having already completed their party workers meetings,
Congress and BJP are now moving to villages in Maoist infested
Raighar and Umarkote blocks for campaign.
BJP candidate Dharmu Gond, who lost the polls in 2009
general elections, is confident of victory. "Different
sections of people were exploited and harassed like anything.
At least 12 tribal people belonging to Gond community were
murdered during last two years," he alleged.
Dharmu claimed that peace in the area was disturbed
by local BJD leaders.
BJP`s state Vice-president, Ashok Sahu, who has been
camping from the day of nomination, also raised issues of
corruption during BJD rule in the state and Congress-led UPA
Government at the centre.
Similarly, Congress which is slowly making inroads to
rural areas has also been raising local issues.
PCC President Niranjan Patnaik, said Congress would
make the killing of 12 tribal’s and exploitation on poor during
BJD rule its main poll plank.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared