Looting on in the name of reforms: Mamata Banerjee
Kolkata: "Looting is on in the name of aam admi and reforms," Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee hit out on Friday ahead of her party`s demonstration in Delhi on October one to protest the UPA government`s decision to allow FDI in multi-brand retail.
"Reforms are meant to usher development for the people. Now-a-days, the trend is whenever any anti-people decision is taken, it is taken in the name of reforms," Banerjee, who left for Delhi during the day to attend her party`s demonstration at Jantar Mantar on Monday, said in her post in Facebook.
Her comments came shortly after Prime Minister Manmohan Singh indicated that the Centre may continue with the reforms process and expressed willingness to discuss issues with the allies.
"We will do what is good for the country... Reforms are not one-off process," he said in Delhi.
Six Trinamool Congress central ministers had submitted their resignations on September 21 to the Prime Minister in protest against allowing FDI in retail, diesel price hike and the cap on subsidised cooking gas cylinders. The party had also submitted a letter to President Pranab Mukherjee formally withdrawing TMC`s support to the UPA II government.
Senior party leader and former union minister of state for Urban Development Saugata Roy told a news agency that all the party MPs are supposed to take part at the dharna at Jantar Mantar on Monday.
Referring to the Finance Ministry`s decision to levy service tax on air conditioned passenger coaches and freight services fares in Railways from October 1, he said it would further burden the people after the decisions on hiking price of diesel, restriction on subsidised LPG cylinders, increase in fertiliser prices and permission to FDI in retail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan