Lowest-ever polio cases recorded in 2010
Kolkata: India has moved closer to
eradication of polio, recording only 42 cases in 2010 compared to 741 in the previous year.
Till February this year, only a single case has been
reported from Howrah district in West Bengal, according to the
India National Polioplus Committee of Rotary International.
A special polio immunisation campaign was launched
recently in Howrah, Kolkata, Murshidabad and adjoining areas
by administering oral polio vaccine to the children there.
Sources said that more immunisation campaigns were
lined up in these polio high-risk areas as part of rapid
response and an aggressive strategy to arrest polio incidence
in the state.
"Multiple polio vaccination rounds are needed to
rapidly boost immunity of children against polio, interrupt
polio virus transmission in West Bengal," they said.
Committee chairman Deepak Kapur said that Rotary
International along with partners, including the West Bengal
government, is employing best resources and manpower available
to eradicate polio from the state.
Quoting UNICEF (India)`s chief of polio eradication
programme Lieven Desomer, the sources said the UNICEF had
expanded partnership with NGO networks in the state to bolster
community participation for polio eradication efforts.
"Protecting children against polio and eradicating
the crippling disease is a top priority," he said.
Nearly 1,62,500 vaccinators are expected to immunise
93 lakh children of up to age five during the week-long polio
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi