LS polls: Former President`s son to fight for TMC
Kolkata: Former President Fakhruddin Ali Ahmed`s son Pervez Ahmed will contest as a Trinamool Congress candidate from Barpeta Lok Sabha constituency in Assam.
Ahmed`s name figured in the fourth list of nine TMC nominees released today, including seven from Assam, one each from Moradabad in UP and Giridih in Jharkhand.
Israt Hashim Kuddus, former Chief Justice of Orissa High Court and Chattisgarh High Court, will contest from Moradabad as a TMC candidate.
Ashutosh Verma, an engineer, has been fielded from Giridih.
The TMC will contest from 12 seats in Assam.
Wajid Raja Osmani, son of former MP Ghulam Osmani, will contest from Silchar.
Gopichand Shahabadi will fight from Tejpur, Deepak Bera from Nagoan, Rupulya Gogoi from Jorhat, Nabajyoti Kalita from Dibrugarh, Shamsur Alam from Koliabor.
"Congress had a good show in Assam because of my late father. The party is not worth now as it was at the time of Independence. We want to make a change and make a difference. I feel the future of the country is in the hands of TMC. They will play a vital role for good governance in the country in future," Ahmed said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!