LS polls: Former President`s son to fight for TMC
Kolkata: Former President Fakhruddin Ali Ahmed`s son Pervez Ahmed will contest as a Trinamool Congress candidate from Barpeta Lok Sabha constituency in Assam.
Ahmed`s name figured in the fourth list of nine TMC nominees released today, including seven from Assam, one each from Moradabad in UP and Giridih in Jharkhand.
Israt Hashim Kuddus, former Chief Justice of Orissa High Court and Chattisgarh High Court, will contest from Moradabad as a TMC candidate.
Ashutosh Verma, an engineer, has been fielded from Giridih.
The TMC will contest from 12 seats in Assam.
Wajid Raja Osmani, son of former MP Ghulam Osmani, will contest from Silchar.
Gopichand Shahabadi will fight from Tejpur, Deepak Bera from Nagoan, Rupulya Gogoi from Jorhat, Nabajyoti Kalita from Dibrugarh, Shamsur Alam from Koliabor.
"Congress had a good show in Assam because of my late father. The party is not worth now as it was at the time of Independence. We want to make a change and make a difference. I feel the future of the country is in the hands of TMC. They will play a vital role for good governance in the country in future," Ahmed said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried in Mumbai; Rajnath says he got chance to express views in all forums
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened