Madan Tamang`s murder case: SC stays criminal proceedings
New Delhi/Kolkata: Supreme Court on Monday stayed trial court proceedings in Gorkha leader Madan Tamang murder case in West Bengal in the wake of allegation that CBI repeatedly failed to appear in court to oppose bail plea of the accused.
"The proceedings before the trial court (Darjeeling) will be stayed," a bench comprising Chief Justice Altamas Kabir and justices FMI Kalifulla and Vikramajit Sen said.
The bench also sought response of the Centre and West Bengal Government on a plea of Bharati Tamang, wife of slain leader Madan Tamang, seeking handing over of the probe from CBI to Special Investigating Team (SIT) or the National Investigation Agency (NIA).
It also sought response within three weeks from CBI on the allegation that due to non-appearance of the agency in the trial court, the accused were granted bail on different occasions.
Senior advocate Mukul Rohatgi, appearing for Bharati, also sought shifting of the trial to a court in neighbouring Assam.
While seeking stay of the proceedings in the trial court, he said it was necessary as the case is in the stage of framing of charges.
"Trial court is in haste in framing the charges," he submitted and claimed that due to non-appearance of the CBI, trial court in its order has been recording wrong information while granting bail to the accused who have allegedly misrepresented the facts.
Tamang, who was the President of All India Gorkha League, was killed on May 21, 2010 in Darjeeling allegedly by "a group of about four hundred supporters of Gorkha Jan Mukti Morcha (GJMM) carrying deadly arms" when he was overseeing preparations for a public meeting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...