Madan Tamang`s widow demands CBI inquiry into husband`s murder
Kolkata: The widow of slain Gorkha leader
Madan Tamang on Wednesday moved the Calcutta High Court demanding a
CBI probe into her husband`s murder and the alleged escape of
the main accused from CID custody.
Justice Jayanta Biswas, after hearing the prayer of
Bharati Tamang directed the West Bengal government to file an
affidavit on the plea within four weeks after the court
reopens following the Puja holidays.
Alleging inaction by the state CID which is probing the
murder, Bharati demanded CBI investigation into the case and
also into the escape of the main accused Nicol Tamang from a
fortified resort at Pintail village in Darjeeling.
Nicol, a leader of Gorkha Janmukti Morcha, allegedly
escaped from CID custody on August 22, triggering speculation
that he might have been killed in custody.
Tamang was hacked to death near Planters` Club in
Darjeeling on May 21 when he was overseeing preparations for a
public rally by his party, which openly opposed the GJM, which
was dominating the statehood demand for the hills.
A cell phone belonging to Nicol had been recovered from
the crime spot.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez