Magician PC Sorcar gets anticipatory bail
Kolkata: Magician PC Sorcar Jr., BJP`s candidate from West Bengal`s Barasat, Wedneday got anticipatory bail after a police complaint was filed against him for making derogatory comments against Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee.
Sorcar Wednesday surrendered before court and sought an anticipatory bail a day after the North 24-Parganas district magistate, who also doubles up as the district election officer, lodged a first imnformation report (FIR) against him following a directive from the Election Commission.
The court granted Sorcar bail against a bond of Rs.3,000.
Earlier, Sorcar was slapped with a show cause notice on the orders of the commission for his comments.
Last week, without naming the chief minister, Sorcar said while campaigning: "She says those who have raped, they are naughty boys. I ask her, if she is raped. What will she do?"
Sorcar also attacked his Trinamool opponent Kakoli Ghosh Dastidar, who is a gynaecologist, calling her insane.
"She says a lot of things. She is a gynecologist. So, she doesn`t understand anything about men. I am a male. I am a psychologist. I hold a doctorate degree. I cure insane people. If she is insane, bring her to me, I will cure her."
Ghosh Dastidar has termed the comments "despicable".
Asked about his comments after bail, Sorcar said he had received an SMS from a rape victim`s father that despite repeated pleas, no one was helping him. "My heart cries for such people.... But if I have done something wrong, I will rectify it."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter