Mahasweta Devi condemns SFI attack on Mamata
Kolkata: Noted writer Mahasweta Devi Thursday condemned the heckling of West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee and Finance Minister Amit Mitra, saying those who practise such "indecent politics" are alienated from the people.
Describing the incident as "extremely unfortunate", the Magsaysay award winner told reporters here that this should not have happened.
"Those who did it and those who practise such indecent politics are alienated from the people," she said, supporting Governor M K Narayanan`s strong statement yesterday against the incident.
Emphasising that Mamata has no alternative, the writer- activist said the chief minister had gone to Delhi "to bring funds for the people of the state and she was attacked".
She said politicians should adopt a constructive attitude. "Illiteracy should be removed because literacy is the most powerful weapon, stronger than sword or lathi. Give the people of our state literacy," she said.
Referring to SFI leader Sudipto Dutta`s death, the writer said, "It was very unfortunate and cannot be supported. The state government should order a probe into it and punish the policemen responsible for the student`s death."
On the ongoing political violence in the state, she said it was continuing since the previous Left Front rule. "It should be stopped. We want our state to do well," she said.
The noted litterateur, who had supported Mamata prior to 2011 Assembly polls, has at times been critical of the Trinamool chief`s policies in West Bengal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know