Mahasweta Devi condemns SFI attack on Mamata
Kolkata: Noted writer Mahasweta Devi Thursday condemned the heckling of West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee and Finance Minister Amit Mitra, saying those who practise such "indecent politics" are alienated from the people.
Describing the incident as "extremely unfortunate", the Magsaysay award winner told reporters here that this should not have happened.
"Those who did it and those who practise such indecent politics are alienated from the people," she said, supporting Governor M K Narayanan`s strong statement yesterday against the incident.
Emphasising that Mamata has no alternative, the writer- activist said the chief minister had gone to Delhi "to bring funds for the people of the state and she was attacked".
She said politicians should adopt a constructive attitude. "Illiteracy should be removed because literacy is the most powerful weapon, stronger than sword or lathi. Give the people of our state literacy," she said.
Referring to SFI leader Sudipto Dutta`s death, the writer said, "It was very unfortunate and cannot be supported. The state government should order a probe into it and punish the policemen responsible for the student`s death."
On the ongoing political violence in the state, she said it was continuing since the previous Left Front rule. "It should be stopped. We want our state to do well," she said.
The noted litterateur, who had supported Mamata prior to 2011 Assembly polls, has at times been critical of the Trinamool chief`s policies in West Bengal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi