Main accused and aide arrested in gang-rape case
Barasat: The main accused in the gang-rape of a teenage girl and his close aide have been arrested from near Ashoknagar and airport in North 24-Parganas district, the police said Tuesday.
The main accused Chottu Talukdar has been arrested last night at Bira area near Ashoknagar in North 24-Parganas district and his main aide Palash Debnath was arrested near airport, the police said.
Three other accused persons are still at large. The police have been conducting raids to arrest them, sources said.
The teenage girl was gang-raped at Patuli village near district headquarters of Barasat after being called away from her home.
According to the complaint filed by the girl`s family, she was called away from her home on October 25 by two men who told her that her father, a taxi driver, was calling her.
She was found unconscious near her home the next morning and the family filed a complaint with the police.
However, when the family was returning home from the police station yesterday the accused allegedly forcibly took away the girl in an auto rickshaw but left her as her screams for help drew the attention of the passersby. They then filed another complaint with the police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- LIVE: After surgical strikes by Indian Army, Nawaz Sharif says Pakistan wants peace
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’