Main accused in Jnaneswari Exp sabotage held
Midnapore (WB): Prime accused in the
Jnaneswari Express train sabotage Asit Mahato, who was
carrying a cash reward of Rs one lakh on his head, was on Sunday
arrested from Gorneta village in West Midnapore district.
Acting on the basis of information provided by five
Maoists arrested from Salboni in West Midnapore district
yesterday, the Joint Forces arrested Mahato from an abandoned
house at Gorneta village.
Two of his accomplices escaped when the Joint Forces
raided the house at the village in the Salboni police station
area, the police said.
He will be produced in a court tommorrow.
Mahato, wanted in connection with 13 other cases in
Maoist-affected Jangalmahal, was also the spokesman for the
People`s Committee Against Police Atrocities (PCPA), alleged
to be a frontal organisation of the Maoists, after the arrest
of Chhatradhar Mahato, its former spokesman.
The CBI had named three top leaders of the PCPA in the
Jnaneswari Express train accident that claimed 148 lives on
May 28, last year.
While Bapi Mahato was arrested, Umakanta Mahato was
killed in an encounter.
Asit is the third top functionary of the organisation.
In one of the worst train accidents in the country, 13
coaches of the Mumbai-bound Jnaneswari Express jumped the
tracks between Khemasuli and Sardiha stations, shortly after
which an oncoming goods train rammed into the derailed
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes