Maintain sanctity of facts: President to journalists
Kolkata: President Pranab Mukherjee on Friday asked journalists to maintain sanctity of facts while exercising the freedom to give their views.
"Many of the brains of journalism have strictly adhered to these principles that I am free to give my views but I cannot take liberty with the facts. Facts are to be reproduced as they are," Mukherjee said.
"Certain fundamentals are to be kept in mind, that is truth, credibility and placing the facts and making efforts to find out the truth", he said.
Mukherjee was speaking to at an event organised by the Indian Journalists? Association here where he also unveiled a memorial for two of Bengal’s first dailies Hicky’s Gazette and ‘Sangbad Prabhakar’.
Mukherjee compared the relation between journalists and political activists with that between fish and water.
“Just like fish cannot live out of water, similarly political activists cannot live if they do not have interaction with the journalists,” he said.
Mukherjee said he had got immense help from the writings of journalists for many of the speeches he had delivered in Parliament.
“I would only expect that this practice of not only sharing information with the readers but also to enhance their knowledge, the journalists today should continue to contribute,” he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla