Maintain sanctity of facts: President to journalists
Kolkata: President Pranab Mukherjee on Friday asked journalists to maintain sanctity of facts while exercising the freedom to give their views.
"Many of the brains of journalism have strictly adhered to these principles that I am free to give my views but I cannot take liberty with the facts. Facts are to be reproduced as they are," Mukherjee said.
"Certain fundamentals are to be kept in mind, that is truth, credibility and placing the facts and making efforts to find out the truth", he said.
Mukherjee was speaking to at an event organised by the Indian Journalists? Association here where he also unveiled a memorial for two of Bengal’s first dailies Hicky’s Gazette and ‘Sangbad Prabhakar’.
Mukherjee compared the relation between journalists and political activists with that between fish and water.
“Just like fish cannot live out of water, similarly political activists cannot live if they do not have interaction with the journalists,” he said.
Mukherjee said he had got immense help from the writings of journalists for many of the speeches he had delivered in Parliament.
“I would only expect that this practice of not only sharing information with the readers but also to enhance their knowledge, the journalists today should continue to contribute,” he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!