Maintain sanctity of facts: President to journalists
Kolkata: President Pranab Mukherjee on Friday asked journalists to maintain sanctity of facts while exercising the freedom to give their views.
"Many of the brains of journalism have strictly adhered to these principles that I am free to give my views but I cannot take liberty with the facts. Facts are to be reproduced as they are," Mukherjee said.
"Certain fundamentals are to be kept in mind, that is truth, credibility and placing the facts and making efforts to find out the truth", he said.
Mukherjee was speaking to at an event organised by the Indian Journalists? Association here where he also unveiled a memorial for two of Bengal’s first dailies Hicky’s Gazette and ‘Sangbad Prabhakar’.
Mukherjee compared the relation between journalists and political activists with that between fish and water.
“Just like fish cannot live out of water, similarly political activists cannot live if they do not have interaction with the journalists,” he said.
Mukherjee said he had got immense help from the writings of journalists for many of the speeches he had delivered in Parliament.
“I would only expect that this practice of not only sharing information with the readers but also to enhance their knowledge, the journalists today should continue to contribute,” he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble