Malda accident: Traffic to be restored by evening
Kolkata: The rail link between north and
south Bengal, which remained snapped since the derailment of
the Guwahati-Bengaluru Express near Malda on Sunday, is
expected to be partially restored by this afternoon, Eastern
Railway sources said here.
"The Up line is expected to be functional around 4 pm
today. It will take a little more (time) to repair the Down
line but we are hoping to make it operational by tonight," the
Stating that rescue operations had been completed, they
said, adding that work was now on to clear the tracks of
debris and restore them.
Three cranes, each of 140 tonnes capacity, were being
operated at the site for clearing the debris, the sources
A train carrying the stranded passengers of the
Guwahati-Bengaluru Express will leave Malda for Bengaluru at 5
pm today. A fully air-conditioned train will leave the Kolkata
station for Malda this afternoon to clear the rush of north
Bengal-bound passengers, the sources said.
Meanwhile, a report from Malda said the Commissioner of
Railway Safety has reached the accident site and begun
The condition of five injured passengers admitted to
Malda Sadar Hospital was stated to be serious.
One person was killed and 50 were injured when 11 bogies
of Guwahati-Bengaluru Express and a passenger train derailed
after a collision at Jamirghata in district yesterday.
The passenger train was coming from the opposite
direction on the second line when the driver applied emergency
breaks after seeing the derailed coaches but could not prevent
the train from brushing against the coaches.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note