Malda boat capsize toll rises to nine
Malda: With the recovery of seven bodies on Saturday, the toll in the boat capsize in Malda district of West Bengal rose to nine, official sources said.
Thirty-one people had swam to safety and six others were rescued by the local people, Malda District Magistrate G Kiran Kumar told a news agency.
Among the persons rescued by the locals, five persons were admitted to a Manikchak hospital and one person was shifted to Malda Medical College and Hospital.
Of the nine dead, six were males, two females and one was a 12-year-old boy, he said.
The boat and the boatman were not traceable, he said.
The boat carrying around 50-55 people, mostly daily labourers and farmers, capsized in the midstream of the river Ganga after it left Dharampur for the char (riverine island), yesterday.
Five rescue teams, including a 35-member Disaster Management Team from Kolkata, were on the job, he said.
Rescue operations were continuing, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Gorilla shot dead after child falls into enclosure at Cincinnati Zoo!
- Are increasing attacks on African students racial in nature?
- Are increasing attacks on African students racial in nature? - Part II
- Are increasing attacks on African students racial in nature? - Part III
- Are increasing attacks on African students racial in nature? - Part IV
- Amitabh Bachchan proud of hosting girl child segment at government's gala
- LGBT community won't be free till section 377 exists: Celina Jaitley
- Premature babies at greater of risk of osteoporosis in adulthood
- Government to crack down on savings scams as PM Modi backs banking for all
- Is your SOUL mature enough? Find out here