Mamata a `pseudo-Left`, no place for her in new Front: Bardhan
New Delhi: Senior CPI leader A B Bardhan on Wednesday said the Left wanted to build a new Front but ruled out a place for Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee, whom he called a "pesudo-Left".
Addressing a press conference here, Bardhan said Banerjee is "mouthing Left slogans" because the masses in Bengal are Left oriented.
He said she is right in raising such issues but claimed that she was forced to do so because of the peculiarities of the state where she is the Chief Minister.
"We want to build a new front. Such a front will come into existence," the CPI leader said.
Asked whether Banerjee has a place in a Front which the Left believes will come into existence, Bardhan replied, "I said Left oriented parties. I did not say pseudo-Left who mouths Left slogans but are not necessarily Left.
"She came to power defeating the Left. If she is mouthing Left slogans, it is because the mass in Bengal are Left oriented."
He said the Left parties will "absolutely and thoroughly" join hands with democratic forces to fight the anti-people policies of the government.
"Now elections have started. Himachal Pradesh and Gujarat are going to elections. BJP hopes to retain both the states. As far as Himachal is concerned, BJP will lose and many other parties will emerge," he said.
On who will win in Gujarat, Bardhan evaded a direct reply and said the Left is a "weak force" in Gujarat while in Himachal they are "far better".
He said the leaders of CPI(M) and CPI will meet on Saturday to discuss the question of Left unity and later there will be a meeting with other parties like Forward Bloc, RSP and CPI(ML).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days