Mamata a `pseudo-Left`, no place for her in new Front: Bardhan
New Delhi: Senior CPI leader A B Bardhan on Wednesday said the Left wanted to build a new Front but ruled out a place for Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee, whom he called a "pesudo-Left".
Addressing a press conference here, Bardhan said Banerjee is "mouthing Left slogans" because the masses in Bengal are Left oriented.
He said she is right in raising such issues but claimed that she was forced to do so because of the peculiarities of the state where she is the Chief Minister.
"We want to build a new front. Such a front will come into existence," the CPI leader said.
Asked whether Banerjee has a place in a Front which the Left believes will come into existence, Bardhan replied, "I said Left oriented parties. I did not say pseudo-Left who mouths Left slogans but are not necessarily Left.
"She came to power defeating the Left. If she is mouthing Left slogans, it is because the mass in Bengal are Left oriented."
He said the Left parties will "absolutely and thoroughly" join hands with democratic forces to fight the anti-people policies of the government.
"Now elections have started. Himachal Pradesh and Gujarat are going to elections. BJP hopes to retain both the states. As far as Himachal is concerned, BJP will lose and many other parties will emerge," he said.
On who will win in Gujarat, Bardhan evaded a direct reply and said the Left is a "weak force" in Gujarat while in Himachal they are "far better".
He said the leaders of CPI(M) and CPI will meet on Saturday to discuss the question of Left unity and later there will be a meeting with other parties like Forward Bloc, RSP and CPI(ML).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared