Mamata accuses UPA govt of depriving WB of central funds
Jalpaiguri (WB): West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee today accused the Congress led UPA government of denying her state funds under the MGNREGA and Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan schemes.
"They (the Centre) are spending so much money for the advertisement campaign but not giving us money for 100 days work and Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan," she said at a rally of Adivasis at Mal where the Akhil Bharatiya Adivasi Vikas Parishad (ABAVP) accorded her special honour.
Hitting out at the UPA government at the Centre for `economic deprivation`, she said those who did so would be given a political reply.
The Chief Minister said the state is not begging for alms from the Centre, but merely asking for its due. West Bengal is facing severe financial crisis as the Centre took away most of the taxes collected by it as payments on interest, she said.
"We will realise our right ... We do not want any alms. We will not beg before the Centre. Netaji (Subhas Chandra Bose) said nobody would give rights on a platter and had to be attained," Banerjee said.
"Those who have deprived Bengal will understand that Bengal will lead India and the world. Those who have been depriving Bengal will realise that Bengal will show the way."
Since its takeover on May 20, 2011, the TMC government has stated time and again that it had inherited a bankrupt state.
Banerjee was felicitated as per traditional adivasi custom in which her feet were washed and she was bestowed the `Singideo` title, named after a brave adivasi woman.
She assured the adivasis of redressing their problems. "For 34 years nothing was done for the tribals. Keep faith in me, I will make sure that infrastructural development takes place and other amenities are provided to you," Banerjee said.
ABAVP state president Birsa Tirkey and its central president Somji Bhai Damor were present at the dias with her.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof