Mamata administers oath to follow Vivekananda
Kolkata: West Bengal Governor MK Narayanan and Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Saturday urged the people to follow in the footsteps of Swami Vivekananda as the World Youth Festival to mark the monk`s 150th birth anniversary began here Saturday.
Along with the three-day event at Salt Lake Stadium, a weeklong exhibition on Vivekananda is also on the offing.
At the inauguration, Banerjee asked all those present to take an oath of following the path shown by "Swamiji and honour women, spread humanity and brotherhood along with loving the country".
Along with children and youngsters, Bengali actors and other eminent personalities present at the event repeated the oath.
Narayanan, who was the chief guest, also asked all to take a pledge of "remaining pure through the entire life, never transgress honour of others but harden your hearts when necessary".
There was a cultural programme comprising of a dance drama and patriotic songs as Bengali film actor Dev led hundreds of school children in dressing like Vivekananda.
Actresses Raima Sen and Subhasree also took part in the programme.
Over 1,500 students from 25 schools participated in the programme.
Girishananda Maharaj of Ram Krishna Mission -- founded by Vivekananda -- said it was imperative for the society suffering from social evils to follow the preachings of the monk.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video