Mamata administers oath to follow Vivekananda
Kolkata: West Bengal Governor MK Narayanan and Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Saturday urged the people to follow in the footsteps of Swami Vivekananda as the World Youth Festival to mark the monk`s 150th birth anniversary began here Saturday.
Along with the three-day event at Salt Lake Stadium, a weeklong exhibition on Vivekananda is also on the offing.
At the inauguration, Banerjee asked all those present to take an oath of following the path shown by "Swamiji and honour women, spread humanity and brotherhood along with loving the country".
Along with children and youngsters, Bengali actors and other eminent personalities present at the event repeated the oath.
Narayanan, who was the chief guest, also asked all to take a pledge of "remaining pure through the entire life, never transgress honour of others but harden your hearts when necessary".
There was a cultural programme comprising of a dance drama and patriotic songs as Bengali film actor Dev led hundreds of school children in dressing like Vivekananda.
Actresses Raima Sen and Subhasree also took part in the programme.
Over 1,500 students from 25 schools participated in the programme.
Girishananda Maharaj of Ram Krishna Mission -- founded by Vivekananda -- said it was imperative for the society suffering from social evils to follow the preachings of the monk.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried in Mumbai; Rajnath says he got chance to express views in all forums
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened