Mamata administers oath to follow Vivekananda
Kolkata: West Bengal Governor MK Narayanan and Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Saturday urged the people to follow in the footsteps of Swami Vivekananda as the World Youth Festival to mark the monk`s 150th birth anniversary began here Saturday.
Along with the three-day event at Salt Lake Stadium, a weeklong exhibition on Vivekananda is also on the offing.
At the inauguration, Banerjee asked all those present to take an oath of following the path shown by "Swamiji and honour women, spread humanity and brotherhood along with loving the country".
Along with children and youngsters, Bengali actors and other eminent personalities present at the event repeated the oath.
Narayanan, who was the chief guest, also asked all to take a pledge of "remaining pure through the entire life, never transgress honour of others but harden your hearts when necessary".
There was a cultural programme comprising of a dance drama and patriotic songs as Bengali film actor Dev led hundreds of school children in dressing like Vivekananda.
Actresses Raima Sen and Subhasree also took part in the programme.
Over 1,500 students from 25 schools participated in the programme.
Girishananda Maharaj of Ram Krishna Mission -- founded by Vivekananda -- said it was imperative for the society suffering from social evils to follow the preachings of the monk.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Say hello to 'nastiest' star ever
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy