Mamata afraid of free and fair rural polls: Congress
Kolkata: The Congress Monday alleged that West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee was "afraid" of free and fair panchayat polls and like a "coward" was using police and hoodlums against the opposition to sail through.
"You are afraid to fight. That is why you have resorted to using police and hoodlums against your opponents to win the elections by force, like a coward," state Congress president Pradip Bhattacharya said about Banerjee here.
He also accused Banerjee of indulging in "party-cracy" and warned that the Congress would not allow her to continue with the tactics.
"As a leader of opposition, she always used to raise her voice against `party-cracy` during the Left Front`s reign. But now she is doing the same thing," he said.
Bhattacharya appealed to district and block administrators not to bow their heads to pressure tactics of the Trinamool Congress ahead of the upcoming panchayat (rural bodies) polls, and hoped they would stand by the truth.
Accusing the Trinamool of unleashing a reign of terror, he claimed even Governor MK Narayanan was not satisfied with the law and order situation in the state.
"He recently indicated to me that he was not satisfied with the way the elections are being held. He did not find the law and order situation satisfactory. When the state governor does not have faith in the way things are being done, then how can people have faith in the government?" Bhattacharya said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video