Mamata alleges mass murder in Midnapore, demands CBI inquiry
Kolkata: Trinamool Congress chief Mamata
Banerjee on Wednesday claimed that armed CPI-M cadres, with the help
of the joint forces, committed mass murder in some villages of
Maoist-hit West Midnapore district and demanded a CBI probe.
"I have confirmed reports that 8-10 innocent persons
of Badarmoni and adjoining villages under Binpur police
station were massacred by armed CPI-M cadres on September 25,
26 and 27 with the help of joint forces in the name of anti-
Maoist operations," Banerjee told reporters here.
She said she has informed Union Finance Minister
Pranab Mukherjee about the issue.
She claimed the death toll might be in the range of 50
to 60 as per statements by villagers while many were missing.
"CPI-M has been capturing areas and has set up 200-220
camps with the help of the joint forces in junglemahal and
district SP Manoj Verma has been assisting them by supplying
them police arms," she alleged and demanded a CBI inquiry.
The Centre, she said, could not remain `silent` to
such incidents. "If such incidents had taken place in Gujarat,
there would have been a hue and cry. Why it is not so in West
Noting that she had come to know of the `mass murders`
while returning from Darjeeling, the Railways minister said
"Nandigram had witnessed genocide a few years ago and bodies
were thrown into Haldi river."
Urging the media to collect reports from the villagers
which were attacked, Banerjee said, "I have cross checked the
incident from different levels by some agencies."
Asked for comment, the West Midnapore Superintendent
of Police said, "What can I say? You should ask the person who
has made the allegation."
He said that on September 25, a CRPF man and a Maoist
had been killed in an encounter at Badarmoni.
Demanding the withdrawal of the joint forces so that
`the CPI-M could not derive benefit from their presence`,
Banerjee said, "I have expressed my fear to the Prime Minister
Alleging that the state government was misusing
constitutional machinery in Maoist-hit areas by terrorising
villagers with the help of the joint forces, she said she
feared a `CPI-M onslaught` during Diwali.
She also alleged that the minister for Paschimanchal
affairs was organising supari killers at the directive of the
"I would like to warn the state government not to
play with fire. If necessary, I will camp at jungalmahal even
during the Durga pujas," she said, adding she would send a
delegation of intellectuals there.
Banerjee also urged the Centre for beginning immediate
talks with the Maoists.
"The Centre should take the responsibility to initiate
dialogue with Maoists who should abjure violence till it
begins. Centre can take its own course to deal with them," she
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'