Mamata announces compensation for Kolkata fire victims
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Wednesday directed the police, fire brigade and the municipal corporation to submit a report on the fire at a market here within three days and announced a compensation of Rs 2 lakh to the kin of those who died.
"A compensation of Rs 2 lakh will be paid to the kin of those who have died in the fire and Rs 50,000 to those injured," Banerjee said after visiting the market housing a godown-cum-office complex in the Sealdah area in central Kolkata, where the inferno has already claimed 18 lives and left several others injured.
Banerjee said that the Kolkata Police, Fire Brigade and Kolkata Municipal Corporation have been asked to file a joint report on the fire within three days.
The Chief Minister urged people, who sleep in markets in the night to be more careful and take precautionary measures like not to light a fire near inflammable materials.
"They should be more careful. Mischief makers also can cause damage," she said.
"Everything will be investigated to find out the cause of the fire," she said before leaving for the Medical College morgue where the dead bodies have been taken.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amit Shah interacts with journalists at BJP office
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- PM Modi host 'Diwali Milan' for media
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Day/Night Test: Cricketers mock DRS, Nigel Llong decision on Nathan Lyon howler