Mamata announces release of 51 life termers on Human Rights Day
Kolkata: To mark the Human Rights Day, the Mamata Banerjee government in West Bengal on Monday announced the release of 51 lifers, including political prisoners, and decided not to oppose the bail of ailing CPI (Maoist) politburo member Sushil Roy following a mass petition.
"Today`s decision to free 51 prisoners was in addition to the release of 83 lifers already announced by the state government," Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee told reporters here.
These 51 prisoners had served jail sentence for a period between 15 to 25 years, she said.
Stating that 55 political prisoners have so far been released by the Trinamool Congress government which came to power in May, 2011, the chief minister said "we kept our word as per our election pledge."
She said the government had taken a decision not to oppose the bail petition of ailing and aged Maoist leader Sushil Roy, facing chargesheets in four cases, following a mass petition by social activist Mahasweta Devi.
"Considering his age, we wish he keeps well. Our government will not oppose his bail. It is upto the court to take the decision."
One of the prisoners announced to be freed by the state government was Utthan Kumar Pal, a SUCI activist, an electoral ally of TMC.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list