Mamata announces scholarship for girl students
Kolkata: All girl students in West Bengal studying in Class eight and whose parents` annual income is less than Rs.50,000 will get an annual scholarship of Rs.500, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee announced here Wednesday.
The scheme, christened `Kanya Sree`, will be available to the students till Class 12, provided their parents` annual income remains below the stipulated amount.
If the girl continues her studies up to the age of 18 years, a one-time grant of Rs.25,000 would be deposited in her bank account, if she remains unmarried till then, Banerjee said after a meeting of the state cabinet, which approved the scheme.
"We will give the annual scholarship of Rs.500 to all girls from Class eight to Class 12. This scheme will be irrespective of caste and community.
"If the girl continues her school education, vocational training, or studies in open school, we will transfer Rs.25,000 as a one-time grant in her bank account," the chief minister said.
"The grant can be utilised for her higher studies or for her marriage. The criteria should be that she should not be married till then and her parents` annual income should be less than Rs.50,000," Banerjee said.
The chief minister termed the scheme a "gift to girls" ahead of International Women`s Day March 8.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH