Mamata announces sops for Muslims
Kolkata: Announcing sops for Muslims ahead
of next year`s panchayat polls, West Bengal Chief Minister
Mamata Banerjee today said that her government would bring in
a law for providing them quota in government jobs.
"The previous government had done it without proper
survey and that is why it turned out to be a hotpotch and a
case is pending in court," the chief minister told a meeting
of Imams at the Netaji Indoor Stadium here.
A survey would be taken up for this, she said, adding that
Backward Classes Welfare minister Upendranath Biswas has been
asked to complete the work as early as possible.
Assuring that employment for Muslims was a priority for
her government, she said an employment bank was being set
up and the government was arranging to provide 20,000 jobs.
On scholarships for minorities, she said, only three
lakh scholarships were given during the previous Left Front
regime, but 16 lakh minority students received loans for
studies in the ten months her government came to power.
"I have never betrayed Muslims. Our government is
fulfilling promises I have made," she said, adding that funds
for the minority department has been increased 73 per cent in
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof