Mamata announces sops for Muslims
Kolkata: Announcing sops for Muslims ahead
of next year`s panchayat polls, West Bengal Chief Minister
Mamata Banerjee today said that her government would bring in
a law for providing them quota in government jobs.
"The previous government had done it without proper
survey and that is why it turned out to be a hotpotch and a
case is pending in court," the chief minister told a meeting
of Imams at the Netaji Indoor Stadium here.
A survey would be taken up for this, she said, adding that
Backward Classes Welfare minister Upendranath Biswas has been
asked to complete the work as early as possible.
Assuring that employment for Muslims was a priority for
her government, she said an employment bank was being set
up and the government was arranging to provide 20,000 jobs.
On scholarships for minorities, she said, only three
lakh scholarships were given during the previous Left Front
regime, but 16 lakh minority students received loans for
studies in the ten months her government came to power.
"I have never betrayed Muslims. Our government is
fulfilling promises I have made," she said, adding that funds
for the minority department has been increased 73 per cent in
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves